Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Celiac Disease

Dr. Locke called this morning and said that Morgan's tests show that she has Celiac Disease.
Celiac Disease is not a food allergy - it is an autoimmune disease. Food allergies, including wheat allergy, are conditions that people can grow out of. This is not the case with Celiac Disease.
We are still going to have the sweat test done tomorrow to rule out CF completely! The chances of Morgan having both are very, very unlikely but Dr. Locke wants to do it for a peace of mind. We will be meeting with doctors in Grand Rapids who will let us know what types of foods she can/can't eat! We are thankful that we have answers and we now will be able to get some more weight on our little Morgie!!!!!! We are so thankful for your prayers and support over the past months and this week especially! Continue to keep us in your prayers tomorrow and the next couple weeks as we learn more about this disease!
Neal, Rachel & Morgan
Check this link for more information

6 comments:

Keelie said...

I am SOOO glad you have an answer, finally!! I'm soo sorry you'll have to think really hard about her diet now!:/ I always feel so bad for those with food allergies, espcially the kind that rule out a ton of common foods!
But, at least you have answers! It's awful not knowing!

(thanks for changing your blog background - I seriously had trouble finding "post a comment" everytime I went looking for it!)

Ryan and Lydia said...

Hi Guys-
I wanted to let you know that we are praying for Morgan. I am sure that this has been very frustrating for you guys. I hope that Morgan loves her new gluten-free diet and eats like crazy! Please let us know if there is anything that we can do!
-Ryan, Lydia , & Avery
PS: I found your blog from Katie's.
lydia_devries@yahoo.com

US said...

Rachel-
I'm glad you have answers. My friend Callie has that and she feeds her 1 yr. old son the same way just in case. While she is limited in her foods she does have some really good reciepes from those glutin free cookbooks(my mom has the glutin free cooking for dummies for my nephew). If Morgan likes marshmellows I'm pretty sure she can eat those. My friend eats them by the bag for dessert. Healthy atlernative? I'm not sure. Anyway I'm rambling so I'll keep all three of you in my prayers.

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel,
I know how hard it is to try to get a diagnosis, so hopefully you are starting to get the answers you need. Thank you for clarifying the difference between celiac and a wheat allergy. So many people, even those in the food industry and medical fields, confuse celiac with a food allergy. They are very different. People with a wheat allergy can often eat other grains that someone with celiac can not. If you need any gluten-free/celiac resources, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Good luck to your family.

Dana said...

My friend at work told me about a gluten free bakery in GR. "Coco Charlotte" on 32nd Street. Web site is http://coco-charlotte.com/.

Glad you have an answer!
Dana (and Jim, baby, and Nugget)

Dana said...

My friend at work told be about a gluten free bakery in GR called "Coco Charlotte". Website is http://coco-charlotte.com/.

Glad you have an answer!
Dana (and Jim, baby, and Nugget)